BEANZ Newsletter Term 1, 2021
This edition contains…
* President’s Report
* BioLive-ChemEd Conference 2021 dates.
* What is BEANZ?
* Your BEANZ Executive.
* BEANZ new national administrator.
* New chemistry and Biology Level 1 subject.
* Regional Reps needed.
* Regional Representatives.
* BEANZ Workshops for Hawkes Bay and Nelson / Marlborough Regions.
* Teaching AS91158 Where have all the Takahe gone?
* A guide to 3D printing of hominid skulls.
* Feature article – Solving a botanical mystery.
* BEANZ Level 3 Practice Exams and order form.Download
Regional Representatives Needed in Three Regions
Attention Biology Teachers BEANZ Regional Representatives needed in
Central North Island
Looking for your next challenge? Or perhaps an opportunity to give something back to the biology community?
Regional representatives are a key link between biology teachers in their region and play a key role in facilitating professional development opportunities with support and input from BEANZ.
Gerd Banke is BEANZ Regional Representative for Nelson Marlborough. In her words being a BEANZ Rep means, “being a sounding board for the region” where you “get to collaborate with some of the country’s most inspiring Biology teachers when we meet during our National huis and plan the regional workshops”
If you are from one of the three regions mentioned and are interested in taking up this position, or would like more information contact Ian Reeves (BEANZ Regional Rep Liaison) at: email@example.comDownload
BEANZ Regional Representatives
If you are looking for your BEANZ representative for your region, find it here. They would love to hear about you and exciting things you are doing in your classroom.Download
BEANZ Level 3 Practice Exams
Once again BEANZ is please to be able to offer you Level 3 Biology
Practice External Exams
Seeking a full-time Biology Facilitator for 2021
The Biology Educators Association of New Zealand (BEANZ) is seeking a passionate and experienced Biology teacher to be our National Biology Facilitator for 2021. In this role, you would work with the BEANZ executive to support Biology teachers around the country. You would play a key role in the development and delivery of resources and professional development to our regional networks. You would work remotely (from home), but the position also demands regular travel around the country. Be a part of this exciting opportunity to shape Biology education in New Zealand. Meet other passionate Biologists from all around New Zealand and work with them to share expertise and strengthen our network.
This position will be funded as one year of teacher release. Applicants must currently hold a permanent position in a New Zealand school. Your school must also agree to release you for the 2021 academic year.
Please send your CV (including three referees) and a covering letter outlining what you could bring to the role to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Any updates about this position will be posted in the ‘download’ below…Download
BEANZ Newsletter Term 2, 2020
In this issue:
· Message from our President
· Science and the plastic problem
· BEANZ Research Scholarship
· BEANZ 2020 Level 3 Bio Exams
· Article: EasyDNA – Ancestral DNA Tests
· NZ International Biology Olympiad (teacher scholarships)
· 2020 BLAKE Youth Award
BEANZ Research Scholarship
The BEANZ Research Scholarship is available to a practising New Zealand Biology teacher to conduct research into a relevant and current aspect of Biology of national benefit to Year 7 – 13 teachers.
For more information, download the application form below.Download
Term 4 2019 BEANZ Newsletter
In this issue:
Bio Olympiad teacher scholarships
Reading ‘fossil dip from the lost world’Download
BEANZ Newsletter Term 3, 2019
In this issue:
· Presidents Report
· Review of Achievement Standards (RAS)
· Article: BioLive Scholarship Recipients
· NZ International Biology Olympiad
· Regional Representatives (updated list)
· Article: Footprints Illuminate the Dark Age of Moa Evolution
· BEANZ Exam OrdersDownload
BEANZ Newsletter Term 2, 2019
In this issue:
· BEANZ Scholarship
· Article: How to make a flightless bird
· Bio Olympiads
· BEANZ exam order
Biology Educators’ Association of New Zealand (BEANZ) Research Scholarship 2020
The BEANZ Research Scholarship is available to a practising New Zealand Biology teacher to conduct research into a relevant and current aspect of Biology of national benefit to Year 7 – 13 Biology teachers. Further information about the scholarship is attached.Download